Re: ESP over UDP

You've got it backwards -- UDP runs over ESP, not the
other way around.  Although you are correct in saying that
ISAKMP runs over UDP.  That is true.

The problem is that you are using IP Masquerade.  You will have
trouble with IPSec across a NAT.  There are a couple of patches
that exist for Linux to try to get IPSec working across the NAT:

ftp://ftp.rubyriver.com/pub/jhardin/masquerade/ip_masq_vpn.html

-derek