From: Mike Williams [mailto:mikewill@ibm.net]
Sent: Friday, August 20, 1999 10:45 AM
To: Mason, David
Cc: Joern Sierwald; ipsec@lists.tislabs.com
Subject: Re: Non-IP type Client IDs

You have mentioned the two alternatives that need to be handled.

The first alternative is that the initiating system sends the USER_FQDN as
IDci in quick mode.  This allows the gateway to lookup policy based on
client IDs, however the gateway must then assume that the selectors to use
in IPSec are the initiators IP Address (rather than IDci) and IDcr.

The second alternative is that the initiator send it's dynamically assigned
IP address in IDci.  In this case, the assumption is that IDii used in
phase 1 will be something like USER_FQDN or KEYID and IDii together with
IDcr can be used to lookup phase 2 policy.  In this case, the selector
values used by IPSec will be IDci and IDcr directly.

We have decided that we need to be able to handle either of these
situations, however we have seen that some implementation will not support
the first.  What I am trying to understand is whether or not both are
allowed.  From reading the RFCs, I believe they are.

Mike