RE: IPSEC tunnels for LAN-to-LAN interop issue

On the receiving side, when transport mode is used to protect IP-in-IP or
L2TP traffic, IPSEC is responsible for extracting the IPSEC headers, and the
remaining packet is delivered to a local protocol listener on the SG - an
L2TP or IPIP tunnel demultiplexor, and from there to the Virtual IP
interface 'above' with full routing interface status.

If IPSEC packets arrive at the SG, IPSEC's job is to take of an IP header
and the IPSEC headers.  For Intranet packets that are being routed between
to LANs, what remains is a pure Intranet packet, with no convenient
mechanism to count against a virtual IP interface, e.g. increment counters
in an Interface MIB entry.

If you think of an IP-IP tunnel with transport-mode protection as 'PPP with
ECP', that is the effect I am after:

	IP Interface - RIP on

        PPP - ECP DES

IP packets have PPP header added by the PPP device, and are then ECP
protected.

Replace the PPP/ECP with IP-in-IP tunnel+transport mode, and you have the
same result. IPSEC decrypts, IP-in-IP tunnel takes off the 'data-link' (just
happens to be an IP header), and the datalink send the encapsulated IP
packet 'up' to the IP/routing interface.

If you are contented to protect all traffic between VPN LAN-LAN in with the
same level of security (all 3DES+SHA+IPCOMP), then this model works fine,
fits well with traditional router architecture, provides a common approach
for all tunnel protocols, and offers the possibility of an empty SPD and no
outbound policy lookups to do!

The empty SPD thing:
Consider a host that opens a TCP connection to a remote peer. There is no
reason why it should not request an IPSEC policy to be created dynamically
for each unique 'flow'. For example, TCP request a transport-mode policy to
be protected to protect
src:1.2.3.4/dst:4.3.2.1,prot:TCP,src-port:10,dst-port:20.  IPSEC sets up the
policy, returns a handle to it that TCP quotes for each packet sent, and
there you have it - no predefined SPD, just a dynamic one.

This model could be used in the same way by 'originating' tunnel
(IPIP,L2TP,GRE) traffic on a Security Gateway.

Steve.