Re: attack on identity protection in IKE

On 27 Aug 99 at 15:14, Yael Dayan wrote:

> Valery Smyslov wrote:
>
> > ... Preshared keys do protect, while digital signatures don't.
> >

> Preshared keys don't either, but not because of an attack.
> The identity of the initiator  is it's IP address, otherwise, the responder will
> not know which preshared key to use to decrypt the fifth message.

It need not necessary be so. The problem of selecting a proper key is
a different issue and, under some circumstances, can be solved by
different means. Eventually, responder can try every key he has
(trying to decrypt fifth message and to verify HASH_I) untill he
finds the key. After that he gets IDii and can verify whether the key
he used does really belongs to initiator. In this case IDii can be of
any type and is not exposed to attacker. This is NOT a good approach
due to its non-scalability, but it is quite allowable. Note also,
that with group shared secret individual identity does not exposed
also (in this case attacker may only learn that somebody from the
group is participating, but not who exactly).

Regards,
Valera.