Re: IPSEC tunnels for LAN-to-LAN interop issue

Dan,

 Dan> So let me ask again, what is the problem with BGP?

Granted BGP is one way to get reachability information in this context, I do not
aggree that it is the right tool.
IBGP is meant for other purposes than being an IGP.  Besides having to maintain
TCP connections with the peers
(which could be a problem if you want to fully mesh thousands of sites - and
you'd want a route reflector),
you might actually want to redistribute BGP routes to the true IGP in most
environments where the IGP is incumbent.
Also you have increased the layers of route convergence.  Administratively BGP
adds another task.
Now you have to administer the BGP policies on the peers such that the prefixes
are announced and so far we are
dealing with just one remote SGW.  Imagine thousands of such remote sites.  I
believe what routing protocols are used should
strictly be an administrative decision which was implied in this thread.

Dan> BGP is a _much_ simpler protocol

Perhaps in implementation.  Not in deployment when the network is large.
I absolutely like BGP but in this context using BGP just to get intranet
reachability information
would be like watering plants with a BobCat:-).

/sudeep