Re: IPSEC tunnels for LAN-to-LAN interop issue

  Fully mesh thousands of sites? That's going to be a problem with IPSec
by itself unless you also have some automagic tunnel endpoint discovery
mechanism. So I don't think that, in and of itself, is a valid reason to
not use BGP. You'd hit a scaling wall either way (and administration of
1000 fully meshed GRE tunnels is not trivial).

  Redistribution of BGP routes into a "true IGP" is something that is done
everyday throughout the world so that too I don't see as a problem.

  I guess it comes down to administration. Eliminating the need to
administer a tunnel interface whose sole purpose is to tunnel routing
protocols seems like a win. One less thing to worry about. And it eliminates
the security issues that Steve K was talking about too. Win-win.

  Dan.

On Wed, 01 Sep 1999 02:43:31 PDT you wrote