RE: New XAUTH draft

>  It's not the distribution of the group pre-shared secrets that's the
>problem (remember MKMP? That was a marvelously secure, simple (3 messages),

>and mutually authenticated way to distribute a group secret. I also
>remember people screaming "but if more than two people know the secret
>then it isn't a secret anymore."). It's that you lose authentication that
>way. draft-ietf-ipsec-internet-key-01.txt was an April Fools draft but
>the security considerations of that were very real. Unfortunately that
>draft expired so let me quote it:
>
>   The use of pre-shared keys has known security implications. When used
>   for authentication, the presentation of a shared secret is proof of
>   identity.  When used for datagram authentication, the pre-shared key
>   authenticates the content and source of the datagram.  Using the
>   Pre-Shared Key for the Internet will, in effect, allow you to
>   authenticate everyone.  One drawback is that this will negate the
>   effects of all related security protocols.
>
>  It might "make no difference to IKE" if you use the pre-shared key for
>the internet in doing IKE but that is just plain stupid. And, yes, it can
>restrict it by simple MUST NOT verbage. That's the whole point.
>
>  Since XAUTH provides _absolutely_ _no_ _additional_ _security_ to the
>IKE secret state what you're ending up with is unauthenticated IPSec SAs!
>There's no way that the customer can manage this. It just plain doesn't
>work.
>
>  If you want to do things insecurely then make up a simple insecure
>unauthenticated key exchange and do XAUTH on top of that.

I agree.

If we do something like

1) Use SSL/IKE exchange (with group(weak) key) to authenticate
the end-user device

2) Do legacy authentication(securid, token card) to authenticate the client

3) Create a unique shared secret for the authenticated user

4) Use it do regular IKE exchanges between the client and the server

What is the need to extend IKE?
Isn't all that is needed is a simple protocol on top of IKE (and separate
from IKE)?

Thanks,

-- sankar ramamoorthi (sankar@vpnet.com) --