Re: anti-replay protection without IKE

>  RFC 2401
> hints that replay checking shouldn't be done for manual SAs, presumably on the
> theory that manual keys are likely to be long-lived.  However, there are

I had missed that detail, but the explanation makes no sense.  It's
*especially* when we have long-lived keys that we want replay protection!

On applications with manual keying, or non-IKE keying, maybe we want to
allow turning off the replay protection, but I feel that it MUST be turned
on by default.

> Should (or SHOULD) implementations
> permit such applications to request replay checking?

I think that the phrasing should be "implementations MAY permit applications
to turn OFF replay protection, but replay protection MUST be turned on by
default."

/ji

--
John Ioannidis <ji@research.att.com>