Unspecified Lifetime

The IPSec DOI (RFC 2407) indicates that if the lifetime is unspecified,
the default value of 28800 seconds is to be assumed.

>From this statement, I am led to believe that it is optional to send the
SA lifetime.  Therefore if I do not send a lifetime attribute ( seconds
or kilobytes), the other end is supposed to choose 28800 seconds as a
default.

If I only send a lifetime in kilobytes, does the other end set its
lifetime in kilobytes attribute to the specified value AND its lifetime
in seconds attribute to the default 28800 seconds? ( ... I hope not )

Kim Edwards
Nortel Networks