RE: monitoring anti-replay detection in AH and ESP

I'd have thought this counter would go up more slowly the longer the receive
window, theoretically at least.  The longer the receive window is the less
chance there is of a reordered packet being recorded as a lost packet (and
hence as replayed out of window).

OTOH, I don't think it's so hard to implement in software at least.  The
counter needs to be checked whenever the replay window is advanced.  The
receive window may need to be 'pre-charged' with ones to prevent spurious
dropped packets being reported immediately after the SA is created.  There
is also a need to cope with the special case of a loss of a large block of
packets.

Large quantities of duplicate packets don't necessarily mean an attack - it
may be an (un)intentional result of network routing.

Chris