RE: Query on draft-ietf-ipsec-pki-req-03.txt

Brian,

Actually I agree with you and prefer avoiding a mandate that CRLs be
distributed in-band. CRLs may grow too huge. On the other hand, the IPSec
PKI requirements document now mandates certificate revocation verification.
It is not clear how this is supposed to work when the CRL distribution point
and the remote access IPSec host are separated by the security gateway with
which the remote host is negotiating. I think we must adopt one of the
following:

i. the verification requirement is somehow relaxed (e.g., making
verification mandatory whenever it is possible to acquire the CRL), or

ii. remote access IPSec hosts are forbidden from using certificates (except
when they already have the latest CRL through possibly another source), or

iii. the spec mandates a certificate revocation validation technique on
which even remote access IPSec hosts can always count.

I can't imagine anyone advocating the second choice. If the choice is
instead the last of the three, then it would be desirable to specify which
technique will be the interoperable one, so everyone doesn't have to
implement 8 (or whatever the number really turns out to be) different ones.
But the first of the three is the most practical of the alternatives, even
though everyone knows it is not the most secure.

-- Jesse