Re: Re:-ipsec-pki-req-03 - subject/subjectAltName

 Rodney> On the subject of limits to the name, I am afraid I
 Rodney> instigated this.  I thought there were not limits on this in
 Rodney> PKIX.  My point was that we should put in SOME limit on name
 Rodney> length.  If PKIX has something, I don't have a reason to use
 Rodney> a different number.  This allows us to be compatible (or
 Rodney> bug-compatible) with PKIX on this point.

 Rodney> I don't think X.509 is relevant.  It's an ugly old legacy
 Rodney> standard.  PKIX's slavish devotion to it is quaint but we
 Rodney> should move beyond that.  Quoting X.509 specs is not relevant
 Rodney> here, we're not building TP Class 4 over ISO IP...

Agreed. on X.509.  As for name length limits, I agree (with
hesitation).  But 64 is a bit tight for a name limit; look in a Sri
Lanka phone book (or Madagascar, worse yet) for examples...

	paul