Re:-ipsec-pki-req-03 - certificate validity

At 12:20 PM 10/27/99 +0200, Rodney Thayer wrote:
>The original intent of this section was to require validity,
>which we all agree we should worry about, as opposed to CRL's,
>which many people don't use.  When the document was converted
>to PKIX compatibility (such as it is) this mutated into a CRL
>requirement.

This is an interesting place to diverge from PKIX if this group wants to.
We can define validity to mean "a chain to a trusted root" *without*
checking for revocation. It would simplify a great deal in implementations,
but it would also expose IKE systems to attacks they aren't susceptible to
if they check revocation often.

Personally, I think we should leave these two linked.

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--VPN Consortium

Follow-Ups: References: