Re: Phase 2 ID's for different VPN's with different Address Space

Thanks, Ari.  I like this solution.

So I would obtain an assigned Labeled Domain Identifer from IANA and use SIT_SECRECY
with a defined secrecy category as the ID of the VPN.

Comments from others on the list on this solution?

-Dan

Ari Huttunen wrote:

> How about using either SIT_SECRECY or SIT_INTEGRITY
> together with the secrecy/integrity category being either VPN1
> or VPN2?
>
> Ari
>
> Dan Harkins wrote:
>
> >   Dan,
> >
> >   I think the key here is "Each VPN has its own address space which may
> > or may not overlap." In that case the answer is that there is no way
> > to handle this using IPSec (today). At least I don't see a way. If you
> > could rule out overlapping address space it would work the way I
> > described; if you can't then I don't think there's an a way to do this
> > which would guarantee interoperability. There's no concept of a VPN
> > as a selector parameter.
> >
> >   Dan.
> >
> > On Mon, 01 Nov 1999 20:12:47 EST you wrote
> > >
> > > Dan,
> > >
> > > Thanks for the reply.
> > >
> > > I think amending my architecture to include the subnets will clarify things.
> > >
> > > VPN 1, site A                                     VPN 1, site B
> > > ---------+        +------+          +------+        +---------
> > > 10.1/16  |        |      |          |      |        |  10.2/16
> > >          +--------+      |          |      +--------+
> > >                   | GW A +----------+ GW B |
> > >          +--------+      |          |      +--------+
> > > 10.1/16  |        |      |          |      |        |  10.2/16
> > > ---------+        +------+          +------+        +---------
> > > VPN 2, site A                                     VPN 2, site B
> > >
> > > Each VPN has its own address space which may or may not overlap.  In the abov
> > > example, VPN 1 has two sites with 10.1/16 subnet and 10.2/16 subnet.  VPN 2 a
> > >lso
> > > has two sites, one with a 10.1/16 subnet, and the other a 10.2/16 subnet.  (T
> > >his
> > > is a requirement as we don't want to mandate which addresses each VPN chooses
> > > use).
> > >
> > > The first packet arrives from VPN1, site A (and I know this from the L2 inter
> > >face
> > > it uses), destined for VPN1, site B.
> > >
> > > GWA initiates phase 1 with GWB.  They use DN ID's (because each has a certifi
> > >cate)
> > > for this phase.
> > >
> > > Then GWA initiates phase 2 with GWB.  Let's say they use ID_IPV4_ADDR_SUBNET
> > >for
> > > both IDci and IDcr.  Then IDci=10.1/16 and IDcr=10.2/16.  When GWB sees the p
> > >hase
> > > 2 ID's, GWB has no way of knowing whether the ID's correspond to the address
> > >space
> > > of VPN1 or VPN2.  Therefore, when GWB receives an ESP packet from GWA with th
> > >e SPI
> > > negotiated, GWB has no idea whether to forward the packet to VPN 1, site B or
> > > VPN
> > > 2, site B.
> > >
> > > I hope this make it clearer.  Dan, does this change your answer?  Or did I
> > > misunderstand your answer?

> [...]
begin:vcard
n:Fox;Daniel
tel;fax:978-263-1099
tel;work:978-795-5405
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:http://www.ennovatenetworks.com
org:Ennovate Networks
adr:;;60 Codman Hill Road;Boxborough;MA;01719;USA
version:2.1
email;internet:dfox@ennovatenetworks.com
title:Senior Software Engineer
fn:Daniel Fox