RE: Phase 1 Re-keying Implementation Identification

---
Tim Jenkins                       TimeStep Corporation
tjenkins@timestep.com          http://www.timestep.com
(613) 599-3610 x4304               Fax: (613) 599-3617

I think we're going to have to agree to disagree on this one.
We've already implemented it, so we know the increase in
complexity to do that.

> > And, yet again, if you don't care, don't worry about it, you
> > won't be affected.

> Anyways I don't see any point for adding special mode just for that.
> The benefits for knowing that the other end is following this rule of
> keeping the phase 1 up always hasn't even been considered at all. All
> of the points you had was only to have the phase 1 up for most of the
> time.

The advantage in knowing how the other end operates is when you
receive a delete for the last phase 1 SA between you, and there
still exists 1 or more phase 2 SAs between you that you did not
get a delete for. This can happen due to the optional and
unreliable of the existing delete notifications. (Yes, I know
there is a proposal to replace them.)

In this case, if you know the peer uses a continuous channel
model, then you know you can delete all the remaining phase 2
SAs. However, if you don't know which model the peer uses, you
have to keep the phase 2 SAs. Maybe you should have, maybe you
shouldn't. That's all; it helps in synchronisation between
the end points.

And as I keep saying, if you don't care, it won't affect you.