Re: IPComp rfc2393bis-00

At 09:00 AM 11/24/99 +0900, itojun@iijlab.net wrote:

>	Thanks for clarification, I did not notice the following.  I would
>	add a word ONLY, like "and are used ONLY for manual setup".
>
>>>	0-63 define well-known compression algorithms, which require no
>>>	additional information, and are used for manual setup.  The

There is a second use - to save the CPU cycles of the
CPI-to-algorithm conversion, even when the algorithm is negotiated
dynamically. That is the rationale for the note in the CPI definition:

   Compression Parameter Index (CPI)

        16-bit index.  The CPI is stored in network order.  The values
        0-63 define well-known compression algorithms, which require no
        additional information, and are used for manual setup.  [...] Note: When
        negotiating one of the well-known algorithms, the nodes MAY
        select a CPI in the pre-defined range 0-63.

avram

Follow-Ups: References: