Re: IPSec SA DELETE in "dangling" implementation

On Tue, 30 Nov 1999, Dan Harkins wrote:
>   Making it a "known" protocol instead of an "inferred" protocol is a
> problem for the editors of the relevant documents. The documents should
> make problematic issues clear and if a firm definition of "in use" or
> when to rekey an SA or what to do in some situation is needed to nip
> some problem in the bud then suggested text goes a long way. But I'm
> still having trouble seeing what the problem is. If it requires manual
> intervention on a particular end of the session and a certain form of
> traffic and is easily identified when it occurs then I don't think that's
> a problem. If a "blackhole" could happen without manual intervention, on
> either end of the session, and with any traffic then that would be a
> problem.

Well, we've certainly had reports of exactly that, although I'm not currently
sure why or how. But it does happen (whether as a bug in our implementation
or a bug in the protocol remains to be proven, of course).

jan

 --
Jan Vilhuber                                            vilhuber@cisco.com
Cisco Systems, San Jose                                     (408) 527-0847