Re: IPSec SA DELETE in "dangling" implementation

On Thu, 02 Dec 1999 22:33:56 +0200 you wrote

> > Since life times may not be same on both ends, I also feel that we need
> > to send Deletes to other end when IPSEC SA hard life time expires.
>
> I claim:
>
> An IPSEC SA is a unidirectional entity between two end points:
>
>          (SA)
>     A ----------> B
>
> There is no such thing as one SA on A, and a different SA on B. SA's
> on both ends are just internal representation of the same logical
> SA. They *MUST* have all parameters equal, including lifetimes. Any
> other situation should be considered as error or undefined state.
>
> I hope above will be kept in the name of predictability and
> simplicity!

Yes, me too.

> If implementations want to break this "rule", they should be prepared
> to handle the "side effects" of the breaking without requiring changes
> to the other valid implementations (I guess the problem of lifetimes
> arises from the IKE omission that the responder does not have
> guaranteed way to communicate to the other end that it wants to change
> the proposed lifetimes -- conforming implementation can either accept
> them as is or reject. Right?)

No it can use the responder-lifetime message if it doesn't want to accept
the offer as is. But your absolutely right that implementations that
break this rule suffer undesirable side effects and need some other
mechanism like always keeping an IKE SA around, and always sending delete
messages, and alway assuming that the other party processes deletes, and
binding the IPSec SA to the IKE SA in a manner which is not inferred by
any of the relevant RFCs.

  Dan.

Follow-Ups: References: