Re: IPSec SA DELETE in "dangling" implementation

Dan Harkins wrote:

> On Thu, 02 Dec 1999 15:05:39 EST you wrote
> >
> > The lifetime setting stuff can be used to determine who
> > initiates and when the re-keying is done. That's a
> > different problem than dealt with by the draft. The
> > only thing the draft intends to suggest about that is
> > that you try avoid simultaneous re-keying in both
> > directions. And you're right, if everyone used the
> > responder lifetime notification, a simple rule
> > could have been that only the initiator initiates re-keys.
>
> But that rule is unnecessary. Just rekey at X% of the lifetime
> with some jitter. I may make X=98 and you may make X=97 or
> whatever it doesn't matter. And if you talk to your own box
> then even if you both have identical values of X the jitter
> will make simultaneous rekey very unlikely. And even if it
> happens, so what?
>
> > > If people are worried about being nice net citizens then use
> > > the responder-
> > > lifetime notify. It's very nice.
> >
> > I agree 100% that it's very nice. But the reality is that
> > it is optional, so you cannot know 100% of the time that
> > the peer supports it. So, if someone wants to be a nice
> > net citizen, why would they say "screw you if you don't
> > use the responder lifetime notify"?
>
> But as Kivinen pointed out, deletes are optional too. And
> I'm not advocating saying "screw you" I'm saying that your
> problems will go away if you just Do The Right Thing. Yes,
> doing the right thing is optional but if you don't you have
> problems that require a whole bunch of extra work to fix (and
> causes other work which requires more fixing) and  some of
> this work is based on other optional features being implemented
> too.
>
> I'll ask again: why wouldn't anyone use the responder-lifetime
> notify for lifetimes which are greater than the configured value
> and respect the lifetimes of offers which are less than the
> configured value?

I guess this is right thing to do and all implementation must follow
this.
For this, it needs to be mandated in the draft. In our implementation,
we do send Responder-life time and process this. Also we do send
Deletes to take care of implementation which donot process/generate
responder-life time notification.

If it is mandated, atleast some operations can be saved, such as
sending Deletes and negotiating IKE SA to send Deletes etc..

>   Dan.

Regards
Srini