Re: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-ipsec-flow-monitoring-mib-00.txt

Ricky Charlet wrote:

> Howdy ()
>
>         I would like to develop feed back on your draft. I believe it is an
> important problem. But just so I don't get lost chasing rabbits, first I
> would ask the authors to provide their definitions for:
>
>  * IPsec traffic flows
>  * IPsec tunnels
>  * IKE tunnel
>
> --
> ####################################
> #  Ricky Charlet
> #       (510) 795-6903
> #       rcharlet@redcreek.com
> ####################################
>
> end Howdy;

Howdy ()
	I have not heard from anyone yet. I am still seeking clarification on
these flow-mib deffinitions. Let my offer my guess as to that the
definitions *might* be:

 * IPsec traffic flows
	guess1: the set of packets which match as to outer IP
                header.
	guess2: the set of packets which match against a
                selector.

 * IPsec tunnels
	The set of inbound and outbound SAs instantiated by a
        particular selector over all time iregardless of how
        often the SAs were re-keyed or how often the SAs were
        deleted and re-initiated.

 * IKE tunnel
	The set of SAs matching as to peer, authMethod, and
        authData over all time iregardless of how often the
  	SAs were re-keyed or how often the SAs were deleted
        and re-initiated.

Some things I wonder are:
1. What if traffic from different selectors travels over the same IPsec
SA. Is that the same IPsec tunnel?

2. What if my inbound and outbound selectors are a-symetric. Does that
interfere with defining a VPN tunnel?

3. Do you intend to tread 'dial-up' metaphore tunnles any differently
than 'nailed-up' metaphore tunnels?

Authors please comment.

--
#  Ricky Charlet