Re: matching GW addr to ID payload (fwd)

Jan,

Oops, your right, my mistake, (Tylor and I had talked earlier so I didn't
read what he wrote carefully enough) I agree that the authentication
information is tied to the source IP of the packet, thus the policy must
be tied to the source IP of the packet.

Another question of Tylors that I would like to repeat is as follows:

If the authentication method is CERT based and the ID payload is IPV4_ADDR
what restrictions must we place on the source IP of the packet and why?

Second question:

If your phase 1 policy (crypto/hash/oakley group) is tied to your phase 1
identity. How do you handle the problem that your phase 1 parameters are
negotiated prior to knowing the phase 1 identity (In MM).

Our current approach has two aspects.

The first is whenever possible select the phase 1 parameters based on the
source IP of the ISAKMP packet. This is where we run into problems with
aliased address and multiple routes from the peer selecting different
interfaces out of the peer.

The second is when the remote peer address is not known in advance.  In
this case we select the highest security level possible and
verify that the negotiated Phase 1 parameters meet the minimum requirements
of the policy.  If they don't we abort the negotiation.

Another approach might be to let the negotiation proceed to the point
of Phase 1 Identities being exchanged, then if the negotiated Phase 1 does
not meet the exact requriements, abort the negotiation and turn the responder
into the initiator (for phase 1), and initiate.  However, this could get one
into an a never ending cycle if the two sides have conflicting Phase 1
requirements.

Agressive mode does have it's advantages :)

Regards,
Michael Carney