RE: Heartbeats (was RE: keepalives)

We're seeing two different philosophies here, I think.

Send the keepalive/heartbeat via phase 1, or send it via phase 2's.

Phase 1 makes intuitive sense to me, if you include SPI information in the
keepalive, as I proposed previously. This comes at the cost of possibly
having to renegotiate the phase 1 SA more often than for rekeying, but is NOT
the same as continuous channel mode (which a lot of people are assuming).

If you send it via phase 2, you either need a separate SA for this, i.e. ONLY
for keepalives, or you send it via some existing ipsec SA.

For the record, I like neither  of the phase 2 approaches (as if that wasn't
obvious). IPSEC SA's are for ipsec traffic, not for maintenance traffic,
meaning they are for bulk traffic. Do you really want to have to examine
every packet running through your SA (in the second case) as to whether this
is real ipsec traffic or maintenance traffic? You pay a performance penalty
for this, which I personally feel is not justified.

In the other case, where you have a special SA, you have to somehow identify
it as being special. I'd rather leave ipsec SA's carrying ipsec traffic, and
not make a 'special' SA, which looks like an ipsec SA, but isn't. Whether or
not a new DOI is the way to go or not, I'm not sure, but I don't think we
should abuse ipsec SA's for maintenance traffic. It needlessly complicates
it, which is counter to what many people believe about security protocols:
Simple is good; Complex is insecure.

I like the fact that we can just let the phase 1 die silently, without having
to keep it around for keepalives, and for this you'd need another phase 2 SA.
I'd just prefer to not call it a 'special ipsec SA'. That clutters up a lot
of things. Maybe there's  better way to unambiguously distinguish this from a
ipsec Sa, other than via a new DOI. But I don't think it's just the traffic
that needs to be 'special' but the SA as well. Otherwise you'll have to
clutter up too much ipsec code (I think. I could be wrong).

Is that an accurate summary (with commentary)?
jan

 --
Jan Vilhuber                                            vilhuber@cisco.com
Cisco Systems, San Jose                                     (408) 527-0847

Follow-Ups: References: