Re: Heartbeats (was RE: keepalives)

On Tue, 7 Dec 1999, Michael C. Richardson wrote:

>     Walker,> Why does it require a new DOI? Why can't we just define a new
>     Walker,> "heartbeat" application using, e.g., UDP port X? By definition
>
>   Actually, we don't even need to do that. You can use ICMP ping, or
> the UDP echo service.

And how would you know if this is a 'heartbeat' or whether the user of the
tunnel is pinging (icmp or udp echo, whatever), i.e. how do you distinguish
this from real traffic?

Why is that important? People want to account for things. They want to charge
for things. If you skew the counts with bogus 'real traffic' (or don't count
real traffic because you mistake it for bogus keepalive traffic), then your
counts will be off.

You really have to have a quick and easy and uncomplicated way of determining
if this is real traffic or not. The best way is to keep it completely
separate from ipsec traffic, which means don't use any existing ipsec tunnels
for this, and also don't use any spoofed/special ipsec SA's for this. A
totally different phase 2 SA is needed (does this translate into a new DOI?
And would that really help? Beats me), or you use phase 1.

jan

 --
Jan Vilhuber                                            vilhuber@cisco.com
Cisco Systems, San Jose                                     (408) 527-0847

Follow-Ups: References: