Subject: RE: A fix for main mode with preshared keys
Author:  Non-HP-jyzhou (jyzhou@krdl.org.sg) at HP-ColSprings,mimegw5
Date:    12/7/99 6:56 PM

An additional payload HASH(1) = hash(IDii | Ni) could be sent in Step 3
of Main Mode with pre-shared key to support remore access as well as
identity protection. The responder can use HASH(1) to select pre-shared
key.

Of course, this may affect the protocol performance since the responder
need to re-compute HASH(1) from its (ID, pre-shared key) database to find
the matched entry. But the performance bottleneck of a VPN is at IPsec
rather than at IKE.

Jianying