RE: Heartbeats (was RE: keepalives)

>  Ricky> * Unsecured heartbeats in the clear leave you open to DOS
>  Ricky> attack as anybody can spoof you into thinking that your peer
>  Ricky> is no-responsive.
>
> How can you do that?  Clearly you can make a down peer appear up, but
> I don't see how you can make an up peer appear down by spoofing
> packets.

Didn't you know? You just spoof an anti-packet. When the packet and
anti-packet collide they annihalate each other. The resulting EMP takes down
your gateway, causing DoS.

Obviously we can't deal with the non-responsiveness issue. The only way to
spoof non-responsiveness is for the attacker to remove packets from the
wire, and if they can do that then they don't need any help effecting a DoS
attack.

Maybe Ricky was saying that if we were to tear down the channel if we
received a badly formatted packet from the peer then we would be vulnerable
to DoS. That's why any good heartbeat protocol has to ignore any packets
that could have been spoofed.

Andrew
 Beauty without truth is insubstantial.
 Truth without beauty is unbearable.