Re: interpretation of SA bundle.

Wasn't this issue resolved and phrased somewhere?  Son-of-ike perhaps?
As I think Tim pointed out, the list had a rough consensus that only
sane (useful) ordering should be applied to the packets, no matter
what ordering the protocols have in the IKE SA payload.  The reason
being that limiting flexibility and thus complexity of IKE will
improve interoperability.  Besides, people not knowing exactly what
they are doing, will not be able to do useless bundles, like
compression of encrypted data (if the encryption is at least
semik-good its output will look random, thus not compress well). or
put AH inside ESP, thus wasting processing time on decryption before
detecting that the packet was bad and needs to be dropped.
Hence, the only sane ordering is (in outbound processing order):
IPCOMP, ESP, AH.  And since only one order is sane, it does not matter
what order it is in the IKE SA payload.  The only drawback I can see
with this approach is that, when someday a fourth protocol enters hte
picture, things might not be clear at all anymore.  But... does anyone
expect a fourth protocol?

Wrt tunnel and transport, same thing there, reduce complexity by
limiting the wire format to the useful variants, i.e. make tunnel mode
just have one extra IP header even if two or more IPsec protocols are
applied to it.  Essentially this means that the encapsulation mode is
really an attribute of the suite, or bundle, rather than each
individual ly negotiated niklas.  As mixed encapsulation modes in
IKE's negotiation creates confusion as to what mode to chose  for the
bundle, requuire all to be the same.

Niklas

Follow-Ups: References: