Re: cookie verification

  My interpretation of the IKE RFC agrees with Sami's analysis.
  In IKE, the responder needs to store state from the very first message
  received from the initiator -- at the very least, SAi_b.
  Storing the responder's cookie along with this state isn't
  that much additional overhead (in proportion to the overhead of
  storing other required info). Having done so, a responder
  can verify cookies received in subsequent messages by a
  direct comparison to the saved value. So even though the
  cookie text in RFC 2409 matches what's in the Photuris draft,
  IKE really doesn't use cookies for anti-clogging.

  I have written a prototype IKE implemantation in Java and
  even though I have a verifyCookie() method, I never need to
  call it for the reason stated above.

  vipul