Re: Heartbeats (was RE: keepalives)

    Slava> "Michael C. Richardson" wrote:

    >> My opinion is that clients don't do heartbeats, since they don't have
    >> 2000 SAs that they want to track.

    Slava> To prevent Clients from detecting dead Gateways or other host - is
    Slava> very restricting in my opinion - for example, it will prevent
    Slava> Client to re-engage with redundant gateways. Heartbeats have be
    Slava> available to any IPSec host that wants to use them.

  It seems to me, that the fact that a client is receiving traffic from the
gateway is enough to permit the client to determine that the gateway is
alive. That may not be enough for high-availability: really it should worry
about whether the server which it wants to contact is available.
  The client could easily ping *that* box instead. No additional SA required.

]      Out and about in Ottawa.    hmmm... beer.                |  firewalls  [