RE: heartbeats (summary of responses)

The end that receives this notify has to transmit the ping though(?), and it
needs an address to ping from.  This would preferably be its own address,
unless your advocating the gateway spoofs a client address (I hope not!).
It would also need to be covered by a common quick mode selector.

One thing I've noticed is that while the 'public' IP address (the one used
to set up the ISAKMP SA) is known to each peer, the private addresses
aren't.

This is one of the reasons why I think the heart beats should transmitted
between gateway addresses directly.

Even if you give a client address to ping to, you're now testing whether
this address is up or not as well.  The availability requirement on the host
at this address means that it probably needs to be manually configured. eg
You shouldn't just scan through the local hosts on your selector until you
find one that responds to pings and offer that address.

I think that anything that relies on traffic going beyond the gateway is
only going to be useful in specific limited scenarios.

Chris