RE: heartbeats (summary of responses)

> BTW, I am not really happy having the IKE SA to transfer more and more
> data. Currently the IKE can happily be in user mode and use software
> encryption, because the amount of data to be transferred is that
> small. If we start sending hearbeats inside the IKE message we also
> might end up consuming our randomness quite fast. For each IKE message
> we need to create random message id and a random nonce.

Hi Tero,

I forgot to mention this before. I don't think randomness is really an issue
here. It is perfectly valid to use a seeded pseudorandom number generator
without consuming any additional randomness for each heartbeat.

As far as I can tell, there is no security implication to using a
pseudorandom message id. I suspect that the reason why we don't simply use
1,2,3... is actually to avoid collisions and not to generate entropy.

I don't think this should be considered as an important argument against
phase 1 heartbeats.

Andrew
 Beauty without truth is insubstantial.
 Truth without beauty is unbearable.