Re: A problem with public key encrption in IKE

     Steve,

     You're right.  The non-repudiation feature does not seem very useful
     for IPSEC.  One really has to sign a specific document to take
     advantage of that feature.

     On the other hand, the repudiability feature of pk encryption does
     seem useful.  To take as an example an issue that has been in the news
     recently, suppose a gay serviceman (in the US armed forces) is
     accessing a gay web site (he would be using SSL rather than IPSEC, but
     I'm just trying to illustrate the repudiability feature).  If he uses
     a digital signature for authentication, the military would be able to
     prove that he has accessed the site.  If he uses pk encryption, the
     military will not be able to prove it.  So the serviceman would find
     value in using pk encryption rather than digital signature.

     Since non-repudiation does not seem useful but repudiability does seem
     useful, this suggests that, as a general design principle, one should
     use pk encryption for authenticating connections rather than
     signatures.

     I'm not proposing to drop signatures from IKE, of course, I'm just
     theorizing.

     Francisco