signture mode and non-repudiation

Stephen Kent wrote:

> Well, not all signatures are intended to be non-repudiable!
> Sometimes we sign things purely for authentication.  As we have
> discussed extensively on the PKIX list, one should exercise care in
> setting the key usage bits, to distinguish the intent of signing as
> repudiable or non-repudiable. So, IF one wished to use
> signature-based authentication with IKE, and wished to avoid any
> connotation of non-repudiation, it is feasible to do that.

Even if a user U insists that his use of the signature mode does not
provide non-repudiation (by usage bits or whatever means) still a person
holding U's signature on the establishment of an ipsec SA can prove to
a third party that U established that SA. This is not a issue of legal
binding provided by the signature (and accepted by the signer) but a
privacy or confidentiality issue of leaving your "fingerprints" in the
places you visited in Internet.

In general, I recommend to talk here about "deniability" (or
undeniability) rather than non-repudiation (which has stronger legal
connotations).

In this context it is important to remark that providing non-repudiation
of SA establishment is NOT a requirement of ipsec. To the contrary,
it is to some extent a drawback of the signature mode (encryption mode
deals better with this issue).

Moreover, the signature mode of IKE has been designed to minimize the
``non-repudiation effect''.
How? By letting the user of this mode (the signer) to find collisions in
the input to the signature function. This is possible under certain
instantiations of the prf function.
To see this note that the values HASH (_I and _R) over which the signature
is computed are the result of applying a prf to some data.
A good choice of a prf could be, for example, 3DES in CBC-MAC mode.
This would serve very well the purpose of the signature mode
(i.e., as a strong authentication of the key-exchange) but will also
allow the signer to claim that she signed a different message than the
one she really did. (This is a good crypto class exercise: the user that
knows the 3DES key used to produce HASH can easily find a different message
that maps to the same output of the prf!)

A collision like this may not be sufficient for the user to convince a
journalist that he did not talk to some dubious party over the Internet,
but will be enough to invalidate a legally acceptable non-repudiation property.

On the other hand, if anyone insists in using the signature mode for
non-repudiation purposes (I do not recommend that) then he can use
a prf which is also collision resistant (e.g. HMAC-SHA1).

Hugo

Follow-Ups: References: