RE: A problem with public key encrption in IKE

Please help me understand.  How is positive identification (authentication)
not the same as nonrepudiability?  If I positively identify someone (DNA?)
how can they refute that they are that person?

AFAIK, when someone says "You did it!", repudiation is the response "No I
didn't."  Non-repudiation is the state where the accuser has the ability to
follow with "I have irrefutable proof."

In IKE, there is non-repudiation.  If anonymous party A uses IKE to set up
an IPSEC session with party B, and all packets A sends are signed by A using
the authentication key agreed upon in process of setting up the IPSEC
session (using DH), then all of those packets had to come from A.  B could
impersonate A, but only to herself, so that doesn't count.  We're not
talking about legal authentication by an univolved third party, merely a way
for B to KNOW that all packets for this session came from A.  That is
non-repudiation.  It does not involve the identity of A other than A is the
person with whom B initiated a session, and therefore these subsequest
packets MUST be from A.  A cannot deny that he sent the subsequent packets
because, unless he shared the key with a third party.

Similarly, if the crypto is strong,and the private key is safely locked
away, if some-{one,thing} signs something, it is irrefutable that the owner
of the signing key (whoever they are) signed it.

Or are we asserting that non-repudiation is defined such that an uninvolved
third party must be able to verify that A applied a signature?  Or are we
asserting that non-repudiation can only exist in cases of proving identity?

ICMan