Re: MM with signatures and dynamic IP addresses?

Ari,

We were just discussing pretty much this same issue in another thread.

The issue also arises in other scenarios, and there are cases where the
initiator rather than the responder faces the issue.  For example:

(*) The responder has a dynamically assigned IP address.  The initiator is a
security gateway negociating on behalf of a client.  The client knows the
dynamically assigned IP address of the responder, but the gateway does not.  The
client requests the establishment of a phase 2 SA with that IP address.  The
gateway must first set up a phase 1 SA with that address, but does not know who
it is talking to until it has received the ID payload from the responder during
the phase 1 exchange.

(*) The responder has a perfectly normal statically assigned IP address.  The
intiator is a gateway with a policy for the responder, but the policy is indexed
by the distinguished name of the responder rather than by the IP address.  A
client of the gateway requests an SA with the IP address of the responder, and
the rest is as above.

Notice that the above two cases cannot be solved by the use of aggressive mode.

In my opinion, the solution to this is very simple: have a policy for phase 1
that is independent of the peer.  After all, one of the roles of phase 1 is to
find out the identity of the peer, so it does not make sense to make phase 1
policy dependent on who the peer is.

I believe this solution is consistent with RFC 2401.  Perhaps it is even the
behavior that was intended by the authors of RFC 2401.  Am I right?  In any
event, a clarification in RFC 2401 would be useful.

Francisco Corella

(francisco_corella@hp.com)