Re: MM with signatures and dynamic IP addresses?

Scott,

   <<
     I think that there must be some implied delegation. The problem here
     is that if we don't provide some delegation mechanism, we run the risk
     that some sgw may claim to represent an endpoint with access to our
     network, and that someone may now put (spoofed) packets into the
     tunnel. That sgw may be one that is granted access for some purpose,
     but that we do not expect to represent the particular endpoint that it
     subsequently impersonates. Nobody else (e.g routers along the way) can
     see that this is occurring.

I'm not sure I understand all the details of the scenario you are
describing.  Here are two comments (which may not be applicable if I have
misunderstood):

(*) If the endpoint trusts the sgw sufficiently to delegate its
capabilities to it, why wouldn't the peer that is negociating with the sgw
trust the sgw?

(*) Wouldn't it be simpler set up a tunnel to the sgw, and then go through
that tunnel to reach the endpoint and do an IKE exchange directly with the
endpoint?

   <<
     By "one policy for phase 1" do you refer only to cryptographic parameters
     (and not identities or authentication mechanisms), i.e all phase 1 SAs use
     3DES/SHA1?

I refer to all the attributes that can be negociated in phase 1 using the SA
payload and associated proposal and transform payloads.  These attributes are
listed in Appendix A of the 5/99 Ike draft.

In particular, that includes the authentication mechanism.  For example, an
ipsec administrator of an ipsec peer that implements preshared keys and
signatures would have four choices for the phase 1 policy concerning the
authentication mechanism:

(1) Use either preshared keys or signatures, with preshared keys preferred over
signatures

(2) Use either preshared keys or signatures, with signatures preferred over
preshared keys

(3) Use only preshared keys

(4) Use only signatures

Now suppose there are two such ipsec peers, and option (1) has been chosen for
both of them.  Then the initiator will propose preshared keys as first choice,
and signatures as second choice.  The responder also prefers preshared keys.
However, the responder should first look up its database of preshared keys and
check that it has a preshared key with the initiator.  If this is not the case,
then the responder should choose signatures instead.

Can the responder do the preshared key lookup?  It definitely can in aggressive
mode, since it has already received the Idi1 payload in message 1 by the time it
has to send the SA payload in message 2.  In main mode, on the other hand, the
responder does not receive the Idi1 payload until message 5.

But that's ok, because in main mode with preshared keys, the source IP addresses
are supposed to be used for identification instead of the ID payloads.  The
responder will use the source IP address of the initiator to look up the
database of preshared keys.  If a preshared key is not found for the source IP
address of the initiator, then the responder will choose signatures instead.
Authentication will then use the ID payloads exchanged in messages 5 and 6.

(By the way, that would not be ok if my recent proposal or other earlier
proposals to fix main mode with preshared keys had been accepted.  So this could
be an argument against those proposals.  I'm now thinking that the best thing to
do about main mode with preshared keys would be to drop it altogether, since it
does not seem to serve any useful purpose.  The advantage of main mode over
aggressive mode is that it provides identity protection, but that advantage goes
away if the identity is the source IP address.  So why use main mode, which
takes six messages, when aggressive mode does the same job with only three
messages?)

Francisco

> The way I interpret the Ike spec, the security gateway is simply trusted to ac
> on behalf of its clients and to vouch for the identity of its clients, without
> any cryptographic delegation of authority.  But one could do what you say if
> that trust is not there.

I think that there must be some implied delegation. The problem here is
that if we don't provide some delegation mechanism, we run the risk that
some sgw may claim to represent an endpoint with access to our network,
and that someone may now put (spoofed) packets into the tunnel. That sgw
may be one that is granted access for some purpose, but that we do not
expect to represent the particular endpoint that it subsequently
impersonates. Nobody else (e.g routers along the way) can see that this
is occurring.

One way to provide for such delegation is to configure, as part of the
phase 2 requirements, some phase 1 requirements including phase 1
identities.

>  In any event, I think this is orthogonal to the
> question of whether it is OK to have only one policy for phase 1, independent
of
> the identity of the peer.

By "one policy for phase 1" do you refer only to cryptographic
parameters (and not identities or authentication mechanisms), i.e all
phase 1 SAs use 3DES/SHA1?

Scott