Re: Phase 1 KB lifetime

On Wed, 19 Jan 2000 13:31:25 EST you wrote

> But are you saying that only lifetimes that both peers can agree on should
> be allowed?
>
> What about people who want to delete their phase 1s under low memory
> conditions?
> What about people who want to use inactivity timeouts?
> What about people who want to delete/rekey their SAs if they detect a
> security violation.
>
> Should these actions be explicitly forbidden by the spec because they can't
> be accurately described in a responder lifetime notify?

Those are quite different that what you said. And it is not at all what I
said.

You can delete your SAs anytime you want. You can set a panic timer to reboot
your box every hour on the hour. That does not violate the protocol. What
I was saying is that when someone sends you a message telling you that the
lifetime you just negotiated should be less you should not just skip over
it and go merrrily on your way assuming that the SA will be deleted when,
in fact, it will not. That way lies problems.

I'm not talking about forbidding perfectly common sense things (which, by the
way don't really have much to do with the protocol) I'm talking about
requiring perfectly common sense things (which do).

  Dan.

Follow-Ups: References: