RE: Phase 1 KB lifetime

Dan, I think you misunderstood something I said. I was not talking
specifically about responder lifetime notifies. I was talking about the
general issue of phase 1 kb lifetimes (which, you will notice, is the
subject of this thread).

I merely made the observation that phase 1 kb lifetimes have potential
security implications and it's not right to prevent people from using them.

If an implementation decides to enforce kb lifetimes then they must either:

1. Locally enforce the rule without informing the peer.
	OR
2. Inform the peer (Initiator: put it in the proposal, Responder: send a
lifetime notify).

I can see arguments for doing either:

1. On one hand, I might consider reaching the kb limit an abnormal
situation, in which case there's no need to notify the peer in advance.

2. On the other hand, there's no harm in sending the lifetime constraint to
the peer if they might cooperate in enforcing it.

But if you:

1. State that "It is _never_ a good idea to just enforce a lifetime without
telling the peer".
	AND
2. Agree that lifetime constraints are a component of policy.
	AND
3. Want to remove the definition of the kb lifetime magic number from IKE.

...then like it or not you ARE legislating policy.

Andrew
 Beauty without truth is insubstantial.
 Truth without beauty is unbearable.