Re: Bruce Schneier on IPsec

"Joshua D. Guttman" wrote:

> >  fyi,
> >
> >  http://www.counterpane.com/ipsec.pdf
> >  http://www.counterpane.com/ipsec.ps.zip
>
> Snippets aside, the paper raises a lot of important questions, and it
> would be worthwhile to step back from the details of IPsec to talk
> about them.
>
> The paper includes political, technical, and expository challenges to
> the current IPsec.  I'll give a sample of each:
>
> 1.  Political:  Would we get better results with a process modeled on
>     the NIST AES competition, rather than the current IETF committee
>     process?
>
> 2.  Technical:  Could the protocols be simplified greatly without
>     undermining their usefulness?  For instance,
>
>     -  could transport mode be eliminated?
>     -  could AH be scrapped in favor of ESP with authentication?
>     -  could ISAKMP and IKE be significantly simplified, sharpened,
>        and disentangled from each other?

If you're going that far, why not cut it down further? Dump manual
mode, aggressive mode, rekeying without PFS, ... All you really need
are automatically keyed PFS connections.

Of course, dump DES as Schneier and Ferguson also recommend.

Then the next question is whether we can cut down the SPD and the
assortment of authentication mechanisms to something simple and clean.