draft-ietf-ipsec-ike-base-mode-02.txt

A new Base Mode draft was published.
The changes regard HASH_I and HASH_R in signature mode.
Hugo Krawczyk pointed out an attack on signature mode in which:
A man in the middle (E) can convince the responder (R) it has exchanged
and authenticated g^xy with the initiator (I), and yet it makes the
initiator think that g^xy was exchanged with E.
Thus it is possible that messages sent by R to I will be credited to E,
even though E does not know g^xy.
Although this requires that I does not know the identity of R prior to
the exchange (which is not typical), the appropriate change has been
made to HASH I. Due to this change, the responder will notice that E has
tried to impersonate him.
Since the initiator and responder ID's  are known at the time of
signing,  we have defined the signatures to include both of them.