Re: Bruce Schneier on IPsec

Have I missed something, or are we still waiting for a reference to
this (Steve Bellovin's) note?

I'm really curious for it, too.

Michael Schmidt

Sandy Harris wrote:

> "Steven M. Bellovin" wrote:
>
> > On the other hand, the distinction between transport mode and tunnel mode is a
> > vital matter of network architecture, and I don't think that that was properly
> > understood by the authors.  (I sent a long note to them on this topic quite
> > some time ago.)  I'm quite convinced that we made the right choice there, and
> > see no reason to revisit it.
>
> Could you post the note here, or is it perchance in the archives? The reason
> for having the two modes is far from obvious to me, and perhaps others.

Michael Schmidt
Institute for Data Communications Systems
University of Siegen, Germany
www.nue.et-inf.uni-siegen.de
The 'Thin Client Security Homepage':
www.nue.et-inf.uni-siegen.de/~schmidt/tcsecurity/
http:    www.nue.et-inf.uni-siegen.de/~schmidt
e-mail:  schmidt@nue.et-inf.uni-siegen.de
phone:   +49 271 740-2332   fax:   +49 271 740-2536
mobile:  +49 173 3789349
###      Siegen - The Arctic Rain Forest        ###