Re: DOI field in ISAKMP

>As I understand it the value 1 means that current ISAKMP instantiation =
>is IPSec. What would value 0 mean?

ISAKMP theoretically allows you to negotiate SA's under multiple DOI's in a
single negotiation.  One might, it was argued, want to use a value of zero
when you're using ISAKMP in this manner.  The idea would be that the ISAKMP
Notify isn't necessarily tied to any of the underlying DOI's being negotiated.

In practice, most everyone uses the IPSEC DOI in their Notify messages, though
I do know of one vendor who sends zero, and I recently fixed my implementation
to accept zero.  If you do accept zero, you should ensure that whatever
message is received with zero cannot affect any of the IPSEC SA's.  If you
want to target something negotiated under the IPSEC DOI than you MUST use the
IPSEC DOI in the Notify message.

Derrell