Re: Bruce Schneier on IPsec

>While I sympathize with Bruce and Niels's dissatisfaction with the
>committee based process, I see no particular advantage in discussing
>that.  For better or worse, that's the IETF process.  If enough people

That's not true at all. I can point to several IETF standardization
efforts that produced much better results much more quickly than the
IPSec group. The key to success was that these groups knew ahead of
time what they wanted to accomplish, and already had reference
implementations with some actual use. So the WG only had to bless the
work that already existed, perhaps with some minor changes.

Bruce and Niel are exactly right -- the IPSec group was a committee
out of control, trying to satisfy everyone at the same time.

Phil