Re: Notifications for failure in Config mode

This is not so much in reply to this particular post as it is for all
config/xauth messages that have been on this list since the bakeoff.
First, I think that discussion on these topics rightly belongs on the
ipsra list (ietf-ipsra@vpnc.org).

Second, I believe that the general consensus at the ipsra bof at the
Washington IETF was that modifying IKE to provide these functionalities
is probably undesireable, and that alternative mechanisms should be
fully considered and probably given preference. However, I have seen no
effort on the part of the (proposed) chairs for that working group to
moderate this discussion in that light, and in fact, have noted that Roy
seems to be encouraging the continued movement down this path.

I suggest that we move this discussion to ipsra, and that we get down to
the work of actually solving this problem, rather than simply waiting
(hoping?) for these mechanisms to proliferate beyond the point of no
return.

Scott