RE: Future ISAKMP Denial of Service Vulnerablity Needs Addressing

The defence lowers the responder's resource consumption /relative/ to the
attacker's, by raising the cost to the attacker.

I do share your concerns about the effects on the initiator, although moving
the initial burden to the initiator does make sense in that it's probably a
lot harder to spoof a target into initiating a connection than responding to
one.  Given that this is a defence against 'in the path' attackers, I think
it leaves the initiator open to attacks too.  eg Modifying the challenge so
it is more difficult (or impossible!), or spoofing challenges where none was
requested.  I don't think the argument that initiator's are already open to
this type of attack is particularly compelling.

There's also an (Tamir) assumption about the relative costs of operations -
if you have modular maths hardware then the effect of brute forcing an hash
search could be far greater on other aspects of performance.  It is also
much harder to make a task moderately tasking enough to deter a foe but not
inconvenience a legitimate initiator, given the way that processing power is
increasing.

I think people should consider Ted's (Theodore) comments (philosophy?) about
defending against DOS.

The main concerns appear to about resource attacks on the IPSEC machine by
an active attacker who is on the path between the legitimate parties.  As
stated it's very hard to defend this attack other than making it hard for
the attacker to conceal their location.

Chris