IPSec Complexity

Hello,

I just finished reading Niels Ferguson and Bruce Schneier's paper
"A Cryptographic Evaluation of IPSec".  They raise some interesting
points, especially with regards to the complexity of the IPSec
specification.  I am working on a plan to integrate IPSec with our
product line and the major hurdle seems to be supporting the
different modes (tunnel vs transport) and protocols (AH vs ESP).

In conclusion the paper recommends adopting ESP/tunnel mode with
mandatory authentication and dropping the rest.  This certainly
appeals to me as we were already pondering the idea of using tunnel
mode everywhere (host-host, host-sg, sg-sg) for simplicity.

Has this topic already been discussed?  What is the current status
of the IPSec specification?  Is it an evolving standard?

I can't find any disadvantages to using tunnels mode everywhere, except
for a slight increase in bandwidth usage.  Comments?

Thanks
Skye

--
Clarity of thought should be accompanied by clarity of technique - Mondriaan