RE: Q: Why IPSEC to be used only in CBC mode & not other like CFB or OFB ?

 Chris> The main issue with counter mode is the requirement to avoid
 Chris> using the same values twice.  This might not sound like much
 Chris> but it's the sort of thing that gives evaluators nightmares.

That's a fair issue, but I can't see it being a fatal problem.  The
same requirement already exists for sequence numbers.  As has been
mentioned already (a few weeks ago, I think, perhaps in a different
venue) you could concatenate the ESP sequence number with the block in
packet number to make the counter number.

 Chris> I can't claim to be a crypto-scholar, but looking over the
 Chris> publication you reference (A Concrete Security Treatment Of
 Chris> Symmetric Encryption: Analysis Of DES modes Of Operation), I'm
 Chris> not convinced that the attacks they mention are particularly
 Chris> viable, at least not in IPSEC case.  The attack analysed is
 Chris> chosen plaintext which wouldn't generally be possible.

I'd be hesitant to assume that chosen plaintext is that hard; in any
event, it is one of the current standard tests for the security of a
cipher.  (If a cipher is secure against known plaintext but not
against chosen text attack, that is no longer considered acceptable.)

	paul

Follow-Ups: References: