Re: ipsec NICs?

>>>>> "Michael" == Michael Helm <helm@fionn.es.net> writes:

 Michael> Is there anyone keeping track of vendors' ipsec-friendly
 Michael> NICs & other networking cards? (not the chrysalis/ncipher
 Michael> type of thing) I heard parts of a few talks about this
 Michael> general area at RSA, and one excellent discussion at the
 Michael> Microsoft W2K launch, & think it's necessary to put at least
 Michael> some crypto support for this set of standards on the
 Michael> hardware in order for it to be practical on a wide scale.

I don't think so.  Given that you're not talking about crypto hardware
engines but just about plain NICs (with the crypto done elsewhere)
there are *no* special requirements imposed on the NICs that I can
see.  Certainly I have seen no reason to add any in the IPSec projects
I have worked on.

Or are you saying that IPSec isn't practical without crypto hardware
assist?  If so, I would agree at the high end (DS3 rates and above)
but not at more modest data rates.

Could you elaborate on what you heard that led you to this conclusion?

	paul