RE: ipsec NICs?

> > While crypto acceleration isn't really necessary for WAN cases where
people
> > are connecting through modems, DSL, T1 speeds, within intranets people
are
> > wanting to talk at 100Mbit/Sec, soon to be 1Gbit/Sec for servers.
>
> Good point.  While I have my doubts about the necessity of that, that's
> another battle, and there's no question that people *want* to talk at
> those speeds.  Filling those pipes is quite a challenge by itself, though.

That depends on what one has for hardware, and how many of them.  We
have customers running at "those speeds" (n x 100 Mbit/sec) over MAN and
WAN distances today for remote storage mirroring.  Needless to say, the
"last mile" is not modem, DSL or T1 ;-).  Much of that traffic is
not currently running on IP, but the technology exists to change that.
IPsec is clearly of interest for this sort of content at "those speeds".

--David

David L. Black, Senior Technologist
+1 (508) 435-1000 x75140, FAX: +1 (508) 497-6909
black_david@emc.com  Cellular: +1 (978) 394-7754