RE: Use of Encryption in Keepalive Packets

Hi Dan,

>   Have you spoken to any of the other vendors that have implemented
> proprietary keepalive functions? It would be nice to encorporate any
> insight they might've gotten into your draft.

I based my draft on the comments I received during the December thread on
this list and on private discussions with interested parties.

>   Also, please do not take magic numbers you need from the
> "Reserved to
> IANA" (or reserved to anyone else for that matter) numberspace. And
> include a value to put in a vendor ID payload to identify a consenting
> party. I know of one vendor that includes the keepalive value in its
> vendor ID payload as a way to "negotiate" to the lowest
> acceptable value.

Don't worry about the IANA issues. I took all values from the private range
and used a vendor id. I know that we (TimeStep) haven't always been thorough
in that regard, but this will change.

The idea of using vendor IDs to "negotiate" values drew a lot of criticism
last time this topic was broached. So instead I used Config Mode.

I know that the people who don't like the DHCP-like features of Config Mode
might object to this, but shoe-horning another protocol (e.g. vendor ids,
ack'ed notifies) into performing negotiation seemed too kludgy.

So if you don't want to support DHCP via Config Mode then just don't
implement those attributes.

Andrew
 Beauty without truth is insubstantial.
 Truth without beauty is unbearable.