RE: Q: Why IPSEC to be used only in CBC mode & not other like CFB or OFB ?

Paul,

I guess we must simply disagree.  I too hate to see shortsighted
tradeoffs, but the world is full of them, and out standards
environment has many examples.  I might agree that the extra
bandwidth devoted to the integrity is not too awful, and I agree that
suitable hardware can parallel process the authentication data and
not make it a bottleneck.  However, the Internet (and the IETF) has a
long history of favoring software over hardware when it comes to
these tradeoffs, and I'm not in favor of making IPsec the exception
in this instance.  Also, I see very little evidence that the optional
use of the authentication feature of ESP adds significant complexity
to the protocol, since many (most?) folks agree that having an
authentication-only mode for ESP is a good idea.

Steve

Follow-Ups: References: